The monitoring and
early warning system was maintained around the clock during all the year. This
system guaranteed the rapid and correct information of the authorities and the
general public about the seismic and volcanic activity and other important
geologic phenomena in
- During 2005, the
seismic network registered 2,785 seismic
events, most of them associated with the subduction zone and the volcanic chain
- On August 3, the most important seismic event
occurred with a magnitude ML= 5.7 (NEIC: 6.2 Ms). It was located at the South
of Maderas volcano in
- Another strong seismic event occurred on July 01
with epicenter in the Pacific Ocean, off the coast of
- The surveillance of the active volcanoes continued by means of seismic monitoring, visual observations, temperatures measurements, Web cameras and meteorological monitoring. During 83 visits made over the year to the active craters, fumaroles and other places in the volcanoes INETER obtained numerous measurements of temperature, gas samples andvaluable visual observations.
From the end of July to November 2005,
- On May 18,
- June 29, occurred another lahars in the North of
- In the last week of September, 2005, landslides
occurred at Casita volcano affecting
Buena Vista and
- In October,
- In October, 2005, occurred a mud flow in the Lagoon of Apoyo.
The following projects were executed at Geophysical Department:
- Mitigation of
- Topographical Maps and Maps for a GIS on Seismic,
Volcanic, Hydrologic and Tsunami hazards in
- Studies of the Geological Hazards and recognition of materials for construction in the Municipalities of Ocotal and Dipilto..
- Consolidation of the Networks of Surveillance of Natural Phenomena).
- Volcanic Surveillance with Satellite Images (King´s
- Subduction Processes, Natural Disasters and Climate
- Temporary Seismic Broad Band Network (
- Early Warning System for Cerro Negro Volcano. (CARE/EU-SINAPRED, Civil Defense, Mayor's offices of León, Telica and Malpaisillo).
- Geological and Hydrological Hazards at Sites foreseen for Rural Urbanization (INVUR-BID)..
- Seismic Vulnerability of
- Hazard Maps of the
- Design of the Regional Tsunami Warning System (CEPREDENAC, COSUDE).
- Early Warning system for Landslides at El Volcán,
near Dipilto (part of project “Strengthening the Local Capacities for the
Prevention, Mitigation and Attention to Disasters in the
Development of the monitoring and early warning system for dangerous geologic phenomena
- A seismic array was with 6 sensors was installed
at INETER´s premises in
- In August two Web cameras was installed for the visual monitoring of